Sunday, February 9, 2014

This past week the 2014 SOCHI Olympics started. Now I usually don't participate in much television watching unless it is something that grabs my interest. But when something as big as the Olympics comes on I will occasionally tune in. I don't pay much attention to the figure skating, hockey, or what I would call boring events. The events that I mostly focus on are the snowboarding freestyle, slope style, and super pipe. Snowboarding has always been a passion of mine and I love to watch athletes like Shaun White and Mark McMorris.

This year I was surprised to see that Shaun White was backing out of Olympic slope style due to a wrist injury. Shaun White isn't the kind of guy to just not compete due to such a small injury. Also, two weeks ago the 2014 X Games held in Aspen Shaun White announced that he would not be participating because he didn't want to risk getting injured. This is was a very big let down for most of his fans and competitors. I was very shocked to see that snowboarding's biggest icon wasn't going to compete in the X Games and Olympic slope style. He announced the day before the event that he wouldn't be competing because of "the potential risk of injury."

Hopefully Shaun White comes home with the Gold in Olympic super pipe because other than that he doesn't have much to take home.

1 comment:

  1. I am also a big snowboarding fan. I picked it up about 10 years ago and have been hooked ever since. Admittedly, life has a funny habit of getting in the way of the things we love and I haven't gotten out to the slopes nearly as much as I would have liked to.

    White is an absolutely amazing snowboarder, and I have to admit I was a bit shocked as well to hear he wouldn't be competing in the event. Although, he is a professional of the highest degree and you have to trust that he knows what he is able to perform in or not. Perhaps he was not able to grab his board correctly and would have risked injuring himself further in other events?

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete